Adding a windows printer to your mac can get a frustrating job. There are various solutions for that task (e.g. workgroup settings) but today I’d like to show you the easiest way – the LPD way.
Before you follow these instructions, make sure you have shared your printer.
Important: The share name has to be one word (no spaces allowed).
Windows 7 Setup
- Go to Windows 7 Control Panel
- Select “Programs and Features” pane
- Click “Turn Windows Features on or off”
- Turn on the LPD protocol.
- And of course you need to ensure your printer is shared
- Go to System Preferences/Print & Fax
- Hold down the “Option” key and click the “More Printers” button
- From the top menu choose “Advanced”
- Set the “Device:” field to “LPD/LPR Host or Printer”
- In the “Device URL:” enter: lpd://windows7_name/printer_share
- Choose the right printer driver
- And finally hit the “Add” button
So if your Windows 7 machine is called “MyPC” and your printer network share is called “myprinter” you should have the following Device URL: